My top 10 non-negotiable list for living a healthy, joyful, fit life.
(Note…I didn’t say anything about skinny) by Kim Salisbury
1. Be happy! When you are happy you are powerful. When you are happy you feel good inside and out. When you are happy the person you see in the mirror looks good. That doesn’t mean perfect. There still might be things that you would like to change, but you accept yourself how you are. If you aren’t happy, then choose to be happy. Start something new. Do something that you have wanted to do for a long time. Make some changes. Connect with people that help you feel happy and surround yourself with them. Ditch those that don’t make you feel good. Let go of things that are bringing you down. You have the power to change anything in your life it just takes adjustments and being honest. There is a direct correlation to living a joyful life and being healthy, trim and fit. You start being proactive about your own happiness and you will start seeing the lbs. coming off. I guarantee it!
2. Move! Whatever it takes, get your bum off the couch and get moving. Just do it! Go for a walk, roller blade, ride a bike, put on an exercise DVD, join a new fitness class, put on your favorite bootie shakin’, slammin’ jam and dance, swim, do sit-ups in your living room, jump rope, skip, hop, run. Whatever it takes. Get your blood and heart pumping, your arms and legs moving and your circulation grooving. Amazingly enough this will add wonders to #1.
3. Listen to Your Body! I 100% believe that we are divinely created and from that divinity we were given every tool within ourselves to be healthy. The problem is we have forgotten how to listen to ourselves, to listen to our bodies. We have bought into so many programs, pills, supplements, crazy diets, and horrific advice that we can’t even hear our bodies talking anymore. Slow down, turn off the noise and begin to hear what your body is saying. Begin to hear what you are craving. Begin to listen to when your body is hungry and when it is not. Begin to be aware of what your body needs to eat. It will tell you. Get off automatic pilot and be present with YOU.
4. Stop buying into the fads and schemes! If something sounds too easy, too good to be true and is a quick and fast solution to your health and fitness needs- then it is!!! Look at how long it has taken you to get unfit, unhealthy. It is going to take you a bit longer to get back into feeling good and seeing your body change. But YOU are so worth it. It is not easy, but so completely necessary. Patience is key and realizing that this is now just your healthy way of life for the rest of your life, is vital to your success.
5. Get off the scale! Throw it away!!! And I mean throw it away today. There is no greater self-sabotaging tool than a scale. For example…..You have been eating so clean for the last week. You have gone to the gym. You are feeling really great. You can hardly wait to get on the scale to see the needle drop. But guess what? It doesn’t. You haven’t lost a single pound. Well screw this…..”I’m going to eat a dozen Twinkies!!!” Sound familiar???? You know when you look good. You can feel weight loss when you put on your clothes. You can see healthy when you look in the mirror. Get rid of the soul crushing scale. Get out of the numbers game and set your sights on feeling healthy, not focusing on dropping pounds. Again, if you take on this healthy way of life, I promise the lbs. will come off. Guaranteed! !!
6. Eat Whole Foods!!! Stop filling yourself with bars, powders, pills and “diet” foods. These are overflowing with chemicals that are absolutely harmful to your health. Eat fresh, full in color and flavor foods that have as little time from farm to table. Satisfy yourself with things that taste fabulous. Why eat anything that doesn’t taste good just for the fact that it is “low-fat”, “calorie free”? When you treat your body good with whole food nutrition you will not only see the lbs. come off, but you will notice your complexion, hair, nails, overall look truly shine. Get off the train of depravity and LIVE, EAT and ENJOY!
7. Clear Out The Junk!!! It’s time to clean out the pantry and fridge. Throw it all away. Anything that comes in a box is processed. Anything that is filled with white sugar is poison to your gut. Really!!! Anything that has a long shelf life is not worth eating. Food in a cardboard box is often filled with chemicals and saturated in sodium. Set up a system of success where you are not going to be tempted. If you continue to buy the crap, then you will continue to eat the crap. Get rid of it!!!
8. Treat Yourself!!! If you have been eating clean-whole foods, moving that body and taking on a healthy way of life then eat the *@#! cookie. If you see something that you really want then eat it. Just make sure that you eat one instead of the whole box. And know that tomorrow brings moving and eating healthy, clean, whole foods right back again. But if you choose to eat the cookie…make sure it is the best tasting cookie that you have ever had. Don’t cheat yourself by choosing something that is average. What would be the joy in that? Ask yourself when you are being tempted…”Is this going to be fantastic and heavenly?” If the answer is yes then Go For It!!! If you’re not sure then hold off for that something that makes your mouth water. Your belly will thank you. I have been known to have a few Hot Tamale binges in my day. Sometimes an overdose in something that is purely emotional feels good. Don’t shame or berate yourself. Recommit and start fresh the next day. No harm done.
9. Nothing Tastes As Good As Healthy Feels!!! This has been my personal motto for years and it works. I know how it feels when I am healthy and strong and I also know how it feels when I am not. I choose healthy. I
choose being in control of what I put into my body and what I do with my body. I know that truly there is nothing out there that taste as good as I feel when I am eating well and working strong. There is no pastry, alcohol, pizza, donut, bag of chips that gives me the same feeling as I get when I am fueling my body smart and moving my body effectively. Nothing!!! Nil, Zip, Null, Void, Nada…Nothing!
10. Make a difference!!! The best remedy for unhealthy, obsessive living is to get out of your own head. Stop focusing so much on YOU and get out there. Make a difference in someone’s life today. Commit to someone or something to make a change for good. Get involved. Be passionate! Be aware of how connected we all are and how we effect everyone around us. Be conscious of the energy you bring into a room. Get over yourself and realize there is a great big wonderful crazy world full of amazing people to connect with and learn from. The more you focus on others the less you will be concerned with the few pounds over you are on the scale. The less you will be critical of the size of your thighs or the wobble of your under arm. Get out there and LIVE!!!
As Always…BE STRONG!!!